Would you like to be part of a team that greets and assists visitors to the Edinburgh Festivals? We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join us in August 2018. Experience is not necessary, we will train you!
As part of last year’s celebrations marking 70 years of Edinburgh as a Festival City, the Festival City Volunteers programme was born, with 40 participants from all over Edinburgh involved in welcoming and assisting visitors in August. In turn, participants gained certified training and developed confidence, experience and a range of skills.
We will offer ideas and support to help you to achieve your goals, whether you want to build new skills or interests, find a job or meet new people. As part of your volunteering, an exciting range of festival experiences await you!
What we do
The Festival City Volunteer programme began in 2017 with group of 40 volunteers. We worked together to greet visitors to Edinburgh and to give people the benefit of our local knowledge. During August 2017, we greeted and assisted 8845 visitors!
Who we are
We were aged from 18 to 81 and came from 9 different countries. We all had different motivations for volunteering some of us were retired, others were students, and some of us were recovering from illness or wanting to get back into work. What we shared was our love of Edinburgh, and wanting to get out and meet new people. For some of us, it was our first time at the Edinburgh Festivals.
What you need to know before you apply
- You need to be 18 or over by July 2018
- Shifts last for 4 hours and you will be required to do a minimum of 6 shifts in August
- You do not need experience, we will train you
- We can help you to balance volunteering with your other commitments
- If you have a disability or health concern, we can arrange accessible volunteering
- We can offer confidential advice about benefits or disclosures
- We will provide bus fares within Edinburgh, snacks and a free uniform
- As an Edinburgh-based initiative, priority will be given to applicants from communities in Edinburgh
Applications open on 16 April and will stay open until we have recruited the maximum number of volunteers for this year’s project.
Want to know more?
If you would like to know more about the Festival City Volunteers programme or if you have any questions before you apply, please contact Julie Golding at email@example.com or call 0131 225 0630. You can also find out more about the programme on the Festivals Edinburgh website here.
How to apply
To apply to be a Festival City Volunteer please download and complete our application pack from the downloads box opposite (or below on a mobile device) and send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post (or pass to us in person) to our main office on Leith Walk (click here for our address and a map).