CSVM (online): Involvement and Recruitment
|When?||Unit 1 from Monday 7 until Friday 11 February 2022;|
Unit 2 from Monday 14 until Friday 18 February 2022.
|Where?||Online via Volunteer Edinburgh’s Academy and Zoom.|
|How long?||The total time commitment is 7 hours over two weeks (3.5h/week).|
|What does it cost?||£85.|
Involvement (week 1)
Using volunteers within your organisation not only means you can achieve more but involving volunteers brings a unique added value to any organisation. Good volunteer involvement pays huge dividends but it needs a solid foundation to make it work well.
Recruitment (week 2)
Are you struggling to recruit enough volunteers or the right volunteers for the roles that you need? Effective recruitment is more than just asking people to help and it is very different from recruiting for paid staff.
Topics that will be covered include:
- Benefits of working with volunteers;
- Motivations, expectations, needs;
- Formal structures: volunteer policy, volunteer agreements, role descriptions;
- Recruitment strategy and methods; and
The course is delivered over two weeks on the Academy and on Zoom.
- Involvement (week 1) starting Monday 7 February
- Recruitment (week 2) starting Monday 14 February
Each week will require approximately 3.5 hours of study time, most of which can be done flexibly to suit you, but you are required to attend a weekly Zoom session on Friday. You can participate in the course at any time between Monday and Friday.
How is the course designed?
The course consists of several activities including self-study (reading) and forum discussions all of which can be done at your own pace on the Academy. There is also a weekly 1.5 hour, facilitated Zoom session each Friday to enable you to connect with other learners, reflect on your practice and learning, and share discussions. Each week you will be able to select a time slot for the Zoom session that suits you best (Thursday 14:00-15:30; Fridays 9:30-11:00 or 14:00-15:30); we will have a maximum of six participants in each slot.
The estimated time required for each week:
|Readings and interactive presentations||Academy|
|Forum discussion participation and activities||Academy|
We encourage you to participate in the forum discussions on the Academy as much as you can, as the idea is to share experiences reflecting on your organisation and your daily practice as a Volunteer Manager, and learn from each others’ experiences.
What do participants say?
- 100% said that the training was useful or very useful
Between 1 (poor) and 5 (excellent):
- Facilitator 4.9
- Overall course methodology 4.8
- Academy Activities 4.8
- Zoom session 4.6
- Organisation 4.8
Overall, what do you think about the training?
- I might choose this format of course in future, in preference to classroom-based learning as I enjoyed taking the sessions at my own pace, and being able to reflect on the materials as the week went along. I don’t think I would have got as much out of 3.5 hours in the classroom.
- I was incredibly impressed by Javier’s enthusiasm during the Zoom, and in forum talks and any email communication. The content he has prepared was well thought out, varied, detailed and nuanced. There is plenty of extra material to dig into too!
- I thought the materials were relevant and comprehensive, the design of the online course very accessible. I felt that Javier was there from Day 1 really supporting my learning
Would you recommend this course?
- Yes definitely. It was comprehensive, a good mix of different mediums of learning (reading, activities, peer-to-peer, discussions).
- Definitely! I would say if you’re new to supervising volunteers then this is a very informative and supportive course.
- Yes definitely. It seems to cover everything we need to know and it makes you think, it’s not all spoon-fed.
- I would recommend the training to anyone intending to work with volunteers, and wanting to prepare themselves.
- Yes. I think it covers a lot of ground and can be accessed by a wide variety of people and organisations.
- Yes. If you are looking to start a volunteer service its a great foundation of providing the best involvement and recruitment process for volunteers.
Click on “Book this course” (orange button) to book this course.
Participants will receive further instructions and Academy login details a few days before the course starts.