Lord Provost’s Inspiring Volunteer of the Year award
This special award was first introduced in 2008. Each year since then five to seven volunteers have been shortlisted for the Lord Provost to select his “Inspiring Volunteer of the Year” from.
Held annually, the Inspiring Volunteer Awards ceremony is organised by Volunteer Edinburgh as part of Volunteers’ Week which is a national celebration of volunteers and volunteering. The awards are hosted by the Lord Provost and City of Edinburgh Council and the Inspiring Volunteer Awards 2021 ceremony was held this year on Wednesday 1 September.
The awards celebrate the accomplishments of volunteers, and the major economic and social benefits they provide as a result of their voluntary activities. More on this years awards can be found here.
On Tuesday 3 June 2015, the Lord Provost unveiled a new Honour Board he commissioned which lists previous winners of the Lord Provost’s Inspiring Volunteer of the Year award since its inception in 2008. And it is intended to add to it each year as new winners are chosen. This board is displayed in the City Chambers and the previous winners can be found below. Photos of the unveiling can be found on our Facebook page here.
Roll of honour
Last year, for obvious reasons and to our great disappointment, we were not able to host our annual Inspiring Volunteer Awards. Instead the Inspiring Volunteer of the Year 2020 was awarded to The Citizens in recognition of the enormous contribution volunteers across the city made throughout the pandemic.
Pictured Deputy Lord Provost Joan Griffiths unveiling the honor board last year with The Citizens awarded the Inspiring Volunteer of the Year award for 2020. You can view a short film featuring Frank Ross Rt. Hon. Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh along with Deputy Lord Provost Joan Griffiths and our Chief Officer Paul J Wilson here or further down this page.
- 2008 Joy Peat Volunteer for RNID and Samaritans
- 2009 Joan Alexander Citizen Advocate for ‘Partners In Advocacy’
- 2010 Liz Bisset Brownie and Girl Guide, past District Commissioner & Trustee with Girlguiding Edinburgh, Richmond’s Hope & Richmond’s Café Project
- 2011 Michele Lindsay Classroom Assistant at Access to Industry
- 2012 Barbara Johnstone Organiser for Ravelrig Riding for the Disabled
- 2013 Alison Drever Volunteer Adviser, Benefits Specialist for Citizen’s Advice Edinburgh Leith Bureau
- 2014 Betty Stevenson Convenor of Edinburgh Tenants Federation
- 2015 Malik Masood Chairperson for Scottish Asian Pakistan Foundation / Coordinator for Southside Elderly Club
- 2016 Shona Black Campaign and Information Assistant, Guide Dogs Scotland
- 2017 Lily Cook Sales Assistant Volunteer, Save the Children Shop, Dalry Road
- 2018 Malcolm Scullion Media Volunteer (Development Team), Thistle Foundation
- 2019 Jason, Peer Support Volunteer, CARDS – Rowan Alba Ltd
- 2020 The Citizens, City of Edinburgh
- 2021 Julia Grindley, Edinburgh School Uniform Bank
Video Edinburgh’s Lord Provost Frank Ross, Deputy Lord Provost Joan Griffiths and Paul Wilson, Chief Officer of Volunteer Edinburgh revealed the 2020 winner of the Inspiring Volunteer of the Year award as The Citizens of Edinburgh.